Nonprofit Works materials are provided for free under a Creative Commons “Attribution-Non-Commercial-No-Derivatives 4.0 International” license, which means you may use, reproduce, and share them as long as you maintain the attribution to NPW, do not sell them, and do not alter the versions you share. You are also welcome to customize any of our materials to meet your organization’s own internal needs, as long as you do not share the altered versions externally.
- Presentation — Strategic Planning Overview — An overview of the steps and elements an organization should consider before getting underway with the actual strategic planning process.
- Sample Board Survey — Strategic Planning — A sample survey to request a board of directors to input about the strategic planning process and the goals and needs to be addressed through the process.
- Organizational Development Overview — An overview of the main steps involved in organizational development, including: mission, vision, goals, and strategic planning.
- Logic Model — A tool for planning outcomes, methods, inputs, and an evaluation strategy for programs and projects.
- Budget Basics — A guide and set of basic principles for creating budgets, including those used for grant writing and fund development purposes.
- Budget Planner — A guide to help brainstorm and plan annual and program budgets.
- Sample Line-Item Budget — This budget format can be used to describe a program or project budget in relation to an organization’s overall budget, and how a grant request will be used.
- Sample Revenue Projection — A sample revenue projection for grant writing and fund development purposes to show a projection of actual and planned revenue sources.
- Logic Model Framework for Budgets — A framework for creating program and project budgets by starting with intended outcomes (results) to determine the necessary activities (action plan) and required resources (inputs).
- Multiple-Program Budget — A framework for listing multiple program and project budgets so as to create a total program and project budget.
- Steps to Building an Effective Grant Writing Program — A comprehensive overview of general steps required for successful grant writing — including planning, research, approaching grantmakers, preparing information, and submitting and following up grant proposals.
- Master Grant Application Outline — A basic template to help prepare grant writers for questions and content that most grant applications ask for.
- Grant Tracking Form — A form to track contact information, plans, suggestions and next steps for an individual grantmaker that an organization intends to apply to.
- Sample Grant Research Spreadsheet — Use this spreadsheet to track and organize information during your grant research process.
- Establishing Relationships with Grantmakers — An overview of basic methods for approaching grantmakers prior to applying, to introduce your organization and project and request their guidance.
- How to Write a Letter of Inquiry — An outline for creating and sending a letter of inquiry to a grantmaker to introduce your organization and project, and request permission to apply for a grant.
- How to Write a Letter of Introduction — A suggested outline for creating a letter of inquiry to introduce your organization to a grantmaker, and seek their guidance and advice (and sometimes permission) about applying.
- Board of Directors Application — A sample application to be used once prospective board members are identified.
- Board of Directors Nominee Form — A sample form for board members to nominate potential new board members.
- Board of Directors Job Description — A sample job description for board members, including responsibilities and expectations of members.
- Sample Board and Committee Structure — A sample diagram depicting a board or directors, committee, and staff structure.
- Sample Board of Directors Self-Evaluation — A sample survey to ask members of a board of directors to evaluate their individual participation and activity, and the board’s overall operation and effectiveness.